The Secret to Getting Paid While You Study in Australia
Want to learn how to land a fulfilling part-time job while you study? Then you can't afford to miss this post.
The pursuit of higher education in Australia is a life-changing decision for international students. It's a journey filled with academic challenges, cultural experiences, and opportunities for personal growth. One of the key aspects of this journey is finding the right balance between your studies and part-time employment. Today, let’s explore how international students with an Australian student visa navigate the world of part-time jobs, highlighting the importance of finding that perfect equilibrium. We’ll also take a quick look at how the ImmiAccount system plays a pivotal role in managing your student visa and work permissions.
International students in Australia often have the opportunity to work part-time while they study. As of July 1st 2023, The Australian International student visa allows students to work up to 48 hours per fortnight during their academic semesters and unlimited hours during scheduled breaks. This provision serves as a financial support system, allowing students to cover living expenses and gain valuable work experience.
Landing your first job
Finding your first job in Australia is often challenging, but it doesn’t have to be. Australia is currently facing a labour shortage that intensified during the pandemic and there is no shortage of work opportunities across various fields which are open to people with no work experience in Australia as well. Fields like hospitality, retail and security are among the most sought-after and easy to obtain jobs in and require few qualifications, if any.
It's important to try multiple avenues apart from LinkedIn, Seek and Indeed and applicants may have a better chance of securing a job through directly applying to specific companies online or simply walking into the establishment and handing in your CV. It’s also worthwhile to remember that customising your cover letter for the specific role you are applying for or getting a referral from an existing employee in the organisation are among the best ways to improve your possibilities for landing that job.
Balancing Work and Study
Balancing part-time work and full-time study is a significant challenge for international students. Here are some tips for finding that equilibrium:
- Time Management: Create a study schedule that accounts for your class hours, study time, and work hours. Effective time management is the key to success.
- Know Your Limits: Understand the work hours permitted by your student visa. Be careful not to exceed these limits, as it can potentially jeopardise your visa status.
- Choose the Right Job: Look for part-time jobs that align with your skills and interests. This can make the work-study balance more manageable.
- Seek Career-Relevant Positions: Whenever possible, consider part-time work in your field of study. Gaining industry-specific experience can be a valuable addition to your resume.
- Utilise University Resources: Many Australian universities offer career services and resources to help students find part-time employment that complements their studies.
Balancing part-time work and full-time study is a challenging but rewarding aspect of your international student journey in Australia. The Australian student visa, alongside the efficient ImmiAccount system, empowers you to make the most of your work opportunities while ensuring compliance with visa conditions.
The Role of ImmiAccount in Managing Your Visa and Work Rights
The ImmiAccount system, provided by the Australian Department of Home Affairs, plays a crucial role in the management of your student visa, including work permissions. Here's how it helps:
Visa Application and Verification: ImmiAccount simplifies the visa application process. You can submit your application online, track its progress, and receive important notifications regarding your visa status. This streamlined system reduces paperwork and ensures that your application is processed efficiently.
Updating Personal Details: If you have any changes in your personal details, such as a new passport or contact information, ImmiAccount allows you to update these details online. It's essential to keep your information current to avoid any visa-related issues.
Document Submission: ImmiAccount serves as a secure platform for submitting essential documents. When you need to provide evidence of your financial capacity or fulfil health requirements, you can securely upload the necessary documents through this system.
- Visa Conditions: Your student visa may have specific conditions related to work permissions. ImmiAccount helps you keep track of these conditions and ensures you comply with them.Finding that perfect balance between working and studying is key to a successful educational and personal experience in Australia. As you navigate your studies and part-time employment, remember that you're not alone. Universities and support services are there to assist you in achieving your academic and career goals, to help make your journey both fulfilling and enriching. So, embrace the challenge, manage your time effectively, and enjoy the unique experiences that studying in Australia offers.
Begin your Australian chapter today
We, at Immi Smart, facilitate the smooth processing of visas along with thorough consultations, assessment, and submission of proper documents. With years of experience and thousands of successful applications under our belt, you can call us with confidence at 1300 02 1300 or book an appointment for a FREE initial consultation.