The Age 35 485 Visa Limit: Way Forward

The Age 35 485 Visa Limit: Way Forward

Australia's recent decision to lower the age limit for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) from 50 to 35 years has sent ripples through the international student community. This visa, popular among graduates wanting to gain work experience in Australia after their studies, is now less accessible for a significant portion of the student body. In this blog post, we explore what these changes mean and offer guidance on alternatives for those of you who find themselves above the new age threshold.

Understanding the Change

The subclass 485 visa allows international students who have completed at least 2 years of study in Australia to remain in the country and work for a period between 2 and 4 years, depending on their qualifications. The recent amendment to the age requirement means that applicants must now be under 35 years of age at the time of applying, potentially disqualifying many who are currently enrolled or planning to study in Australia.

The Impact on Current and Prospective Students

For many, this change disrupts plans for gaining valuable Australian work experience post-graduation. Older students often bring extensive professional experience and perspectives to their studies and have different career trajectories compared to younger students. This age limit reduction may affect their post-graduation plans significantly, limiting opportunities for career advancement in Australia.

What Are Your Options?

If you are over 35 or approaching this age, here are some pathways and strategies you might consider:

  1. Skill Shortage Visas

Explore visa options targeted at skills shortages in Australia. These visas, such as the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) and the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190), are points-tested and can offer a pathway to permanent residency based on your occupation, experience, and other factors like language proficiency.

  1. Employer-Sponsored Visas

If you have secured employment or have a job offer in Australia, look into employer-sponsored visas. These include the Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) and the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186), which allow you to live and work in Australia sponsored by an employer.

  1. Partner Visas

If your partner is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, you could consider a partner visa. These visas can offer a pathway to temporary and then permanent residency based on your relationship.

  1. Seek Advice from Migration Experts

Immigration policies can be complex and change frequently. Consulting with a qualified migration agent or lawyer can provide you with tailored advice and help you navigate your options effectively.

The Immi Smart Advantage

  • 8+ years of experience with a team of immigration experts well-versed in the GSM visa process and Australian immigration laws.
  • Helped over 10000 people receive successful outcomes and start new lives in Australia.
  • 1-on-1 personal guidance from our trusted and experienced consultants to create a tailored migration strategy for you
  • End-to-end support, from application to grant
  • Almost 100% success rate of visa applications over 15+ years of experience
  • Transparent and efficient processes to ensure that your application is processed without uncertainty or long wait times
  • Unmatched client satisfaction with nearly 5 star reviews on all platforms

Have more questions regarding the process or are looking for the right guidance for the way forward? Then contact us now for an initial consultation via phone (1300 02 1300) or simply drop into our Melbourne CBD office. 


Related Articles